Monday, February 22, 2010

Thou, O Lord


2009 was a tough year.


Threats & concerns that my ministry here was over. My errors & shortcomings discussed evident. Stung by some. Embraced by others. My failure palpable. My grief overwhelming at times. Trying to live life as a hubby & daddy, continue to minister, & act like all is well. Broken & humbled. Experiencing God’s grace profoundly.


Late Autumn during a week away with family God gave me peace. No matter what. Stay or go. He was in control. He’d take care of my family. My church. Me. He loved more than I could know or imagine.


Weeks later I headed out for a Saturday morning long run. Eight degrees. New worship music loaded on my iPod. My first listen. I did worship. With each breath. Each step. Through the cold. The dark. Each note. Each word. Through my pain. The grief.


And then. First time I’d ever heard it.


Many are they increased that troubled me
Many are they that rise up against me
Many there be which say of my soul
There is no help for him in God


Tears. Rolling down. Weeping. As I ran.


But thou, O Lord are a shield for me
My glory and the lifter of my head
Thou, O Lord are shield for me
My glory and the lifter of my head

Tears. Freezing on my cheeks. Joyful. As I ran.

I cried unto the Lord with my voice
And he heard me out of His holy hill
I laid me down and slept and awaked
For the Lord sustained, for he sustained me


Arms. Uplifted in praise. Emboldened. As I ran.


Thou, O Lord are a shield for me
My glory and the lifter of my head
Thou, O Lord are shield for me
My glory and the lifter of my head


Voice. Lifted in worship. Strengthened. As I ran.


Don’t know how many times I replayed it. Felt like I was running on air the remaining eight miles to loop back home. Those words of the Third Psalm inspiring me.


I have a second chance. Redemption.


We have a God of second chances. A Redeemer.


Why don’t you come back to Him? Your Protector, Provider, Redeemer.


1 comment:

Kay said...

You just made me cry.... tears of shared pain with you & Miss M; and tears of gratefulness for the mercy of our Father; and the tears of joy of that pure, uninhibited worship.

Thank you dear Pastor for sharing your heart.